Subject: bug#2137: 23.0.60; Saving Rmail buffer does not show the "Saving file ..." message

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:46:49 -0500

>> The bug is that is uses buffer-size to determine the size of the file,
>> without taking into account the fact that
>> write-region-annotate-functions can add lot of stuff to the file that's
>> not in the buffer's text.
> How can buffer-size take that into account?

It can't.  Luckily we don't have to use buffer-size for that.

> The correct full size of what's written to the disk file is never
> seen, since write-region does its job piecemeal, and the annotations
> are applied separately to each piece by a_write.

Indeed.

> Am I missing something?

We do have all the annotations in a single place, so we can compute the
final total size before we start writing.

>> The simplest fix is to simply always output the message rather than only
>> for files larger than 50KB.
> That may be the only (non-kludgey) solution.

Yes, I find it to be the best solution.  I see no benefit in avoiding
the message for smaller files.

        Stefan