Subject: Re: bug#2137: 23.0.60; Saving Rmail buffer does not show the "Saving file ..." message

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 06:16:00 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:29:08 -0500
> 
> >> This problem at least simply points to a current bug in save-buffer.
> > Which bug is that?
> 
> The bug is that is uses buffer-size to determine the size of the file,
> without taking into account the fact that
> write-region-annotate-functions can add lot of stuff to the file that's
> not in the buffer's text.

How can buffer-size take that into account?  The correct full size of
what's written to the disk file is never seen, since write-region does
its job piecemeal, and the annotations are applied separately to each
piece by a_write.

Am I missing something?

> The simplest fix is to simply always output the message rather than only
> for files larger than 50KB.

That may be the only (non-kludgey) solution.

> The more difficult one is to move the message from save-buffer to
> write-region.

If I'm right above, this won't solve the case where annotations add a
lot.