Subject: bug#2137: 23.0.60; Saving Rmail buffer does not show the "Saving file ..." message

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:31:59 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 23:12:23 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> This problem at least simply points to a current bug in save-buffer.
> >
> > Which bug is that?
> 
> Well, one thing I wonder about is: how does it know the correct buffer
> _contents_, but not the correct buffer _size_...
> 
> (Ie, why isn't it overwriting your mailbox file with just the current
> message you happen to be viewing at the time?)

See rmail-write-region-annotate: it switches to the right buffer just
in time for write-region to save the correct text, but buffer-size is
called before that.

IMO, using annotations for the job of saving the mailbox is also a
horrible kludge.  All that just to avoid defining an Rmail-specific
binding for C-x C-s ...