Subject: bug#21368: 25.0.50; Core navigation commands fail in a multi-line intangible text with fringe

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:46:54 +0200

Hi,

 (defun insert-with-fringe ()
   (insert
    "      "
    (concat
     (propertize "fringe" 'display (list 'left-fringe 'filled-square font-lock-doc-face))
     (propertize "dummy" 'display "AAA\n" 'font-lock-face font-lock-doc-face))
    "some more text")
   (previous-line))

Execute (insert-with-fringe). It should position the cursor just in front of the
"AAA" string.

Now (backward-char 1) or (goto-char (1- (point))) don't have any effect, and
(previous-line) goes to bol instead of the previous line.

It has to do with the trailing "\n" in "AAA\n". If that new line is removed,
everything works as expected.

  Vitalie

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2015-08-19 on galago
Repository revision: 481859ba71253725f4aed4877b89123e11aaef0c
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11600000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.10