Subject: Re: bug#21368: 25.0.50; Core navigation commands fail in a multi-line intangible text with fringe

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:23:23 +0200

On Sat, Aug 29 2015, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

>>> On Fri, Aug 28 2015 22:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> The first two do work, you just need to invoke backward-char twice to
>> see the cursor move.  
>
> This is not happening with `M-x (backward-char 1)`. It does indeed work when
> backward-char is invoked interactively with C-b.
>
> This is a relatively recent change in behavior (past 2-3 months or so).

A recent change in behaviour would likely be due to my 68529c8 from Jun
3, which is a fix for vertical-motion.

However, I tried your test case with emacs trunk fd93edb built on
2015-03-27 (since that happens to be the the oldest version which I've
kept around) but it seems to behave in the same way as a recent version
of emacs (84a9787).

In particular, the first backward-char (however invoked) brings point
(which does not visually move) 6 positions back (from the "d" of "dummy"
to the "f" of "fringe"); the next backward-char moves point by one
position back to the last space character before "fringe".

By the way, (vertical-motion 0) instead of (previous-line) brings point
to the next (visual) line; this is perhaps a more direct test case for
the same thing.