Subject: bug#21365: closed (Re: bug#21365: Edebug always stops when execution enters an instrumented function)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:57:04 +0000

Your bug report

#21365: Edebug always stops when execution enters an instrumented function

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21365: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21365
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21365: Edebug always stops when execution enters an instrumented function
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 2015 12:56:48 -0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> This more of a feature request: make edebug stop when entering such a
> function _optionally_.

Fixed by amending the documentation in edebug.texi in master.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: Edebug always stops when execution enters an instrumented function
From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 22:03:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This more of a feature request: make edebug stop when entering such a
function _optionally_.

Usecase: I want to debug certain function, but only when it takes specific
execution route. I instrument the function, set a breakpoint where I want
to debug it. But in addition to the breakpoint, edebug also pauses each
time the function is entered and I see no way to disable it.

In some cases this is a mere annoyance, in others it makes debugging
impossible. For example, currently I want to debug 'auto-revert-handler'
which somehow reverts buffer where both Auto Revert and Auto Revert Tail
modes are disabled. However, I can never make Edebug stop on

    (message "Reverting buffer `%s'." (buffer-name)))

line (though I see it _is_ executed, if only from the *Messages* buffer).
It always stops at the beginning of the function instead.

Paul