Subject: bug#21364: closed (Re: bug#21364: [PATCH] Add vc-activate (interactive) to activate VC mode on the current buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 03:46:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21364: [PATCH] Add vc-activate (interactive) to activate VC mode on the current buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21364: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21364
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21364: [PATCH] Add vc-activate (interactive) to activate VC mode on the current buffer
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 23:45:16 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> > Ok. The attached patch is updated to do just that. The only thing I
>> > noticed was that after aliasing, vc-find-file-hook shows up in M-x since
>> > the new function is interactive.

Actually, now I remember that in Emacs-25, M-x's completion was changed
to skip obsolete commands, so I installed your patch with
define-obsolete-function-alias.
Thank you.

BTW, I could still accept this patch as a tiny change, but it's already
the second one, so you should consider signing the copyright paperwork
before the next occasion.

        Stefan

Subject: [PATCH] Add vc-activate (interactive) to activate VC mode on the current buffer
From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:32:56 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Attached is a patch (in git am format) to add a new interactive function
`vc-activate`, which simply calls `vc-find-file-hook` to activate VC
mode on a buffer.

The motivation comes from the fact that I don't consistently use VC for
everything. I often pop back and forth to the command line, depending on
the situation. This ends up with a lot of "git add" commands being run
behind emacs's back. I've been using `M-x revert-buffer` or `C-x C-v`,
but both of them seem too harsh for what I really want, which is for VC
to just check again real quick. I could `M-: RET (vc-find-file-hook)`
but that doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

`vc-activate` is a nicely named interactive wrapper around
vc-find-file-hook so that I can just do `M-x vc-activate RET` and I'm in
business.

Thanks,
  David

>From 627c54175d9287143499ed42be91d3fcc42a74b1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:04:51 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Add vc-activate (interactive) to activate VC mode on the
 current buffer

(which may have been added to revision control behind Emacs's back).

* lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el (vc-activate): New; interactive way to activate VC
mode on the current buffer.
---
 lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el | 5 +++++
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+)

diff --git a/lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el b/lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el
index bae9919..1c12b01 100644
--- a/lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el
+++ b/lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el
@@ -851,6 +851,11 @@ current, and kill the buffer that visits the link."
 
 (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'vc-find-file-hook)
 
+(defun vc-activate ()
+  "Activate VC mode on current buffer if appropriate."
+  (interactive)
+  (vc-find-file-hook))
+
 (defun vc-kill-buffer-hook ()
   "Discard VC info about a file when we kill its buffer."
   (when buffer-file-name (vc-file-clearprops buffer-file-name)))
-- 
2.5.0