Subject: bug#21363: 25.0.50; Some characters confuse display

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:28:37 -0400

This text from a message to emacs-devel

   AVGVSTÓ·SACR·
   A·A·LV́CIꟾ·A·FꟾLIꟾ·MEN·
   PROCVLVS·ET·IV́LIÁNVS·
   P · S ·
   DÉDICÁTIÓNE·DECVRIÓNIBVS·ET·
   AVGVSTÁLIBVS·CÉNAM·DEDÉRVNT

confuses display on my Linux console.
If you go to the second line of the text and type C-e,
the cursor appears on the final middledot.

I've seen other strange things happen just moving around on that text,
such as displaying lines in the wrong place, but I can't
reproduce them.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2015-08-12 on freetop
Repository revision: 79a169684dfad2c0bbb9fdbae539c1f30d9f0ac3
System Description:	Trisquel GNU/Linux 7.0, Belenos

Configured using:
 `configure 'CFLAGS=-g -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Quit [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Char: · (183, #o267, #xb7, file ...) point=1490 of 2018 (74%) column=20

Char: ꟾ (43006, #o123776, #xa7fe, file ...) point=1489 of 2018 (74%) column=19
Quit
R is undefined
Quit
save-excursion: Search failed: "[[]TRUNCATED .*] "
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pp descr-text cal-move cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
rmailedit sgml-mode novice dired-aux time-stamp parse-time vc-cvs
texinfo etags thingatpt xref project rect srecode/srt-mode
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
semantic/db semantic/format ezimage srecode/template srecode/srt-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/ctxt srecode/ctxt
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find srecode/compile srecode/dictionary
srecode/table srecode eieio-base semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
iso-transl wid-edit dabbrev epa-file rmailout rmailkwd rmailsum
misearch multi-isearch shr-color color quail url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq
cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util password-cache url-vars shr dom
subr-x browse-url qp battery shell pcomplete grep compile comint
ansi-color ring mailalias epa-mail epa derived epg rmailmm message
sendmail format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils dired t-mouse view time-date paren cus-start
cus-load advice finder-inf package easymenu epg-config mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind gfilenotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 336759 74011)
 (symbols 24 39123 6)
 (miscs 20 4128 4107)
 (strings 16 60307 9686)
 (string-bytes 1 1808067)
 (vectors 8 32872)
 (vector-slots 4 1623701 24776)
 (floats 8 610 615)
 (intervals 28 55499 1997)
 (buffers 520 129)
 (heap 1024 22934 1223))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.