Subject: bug#21361: 25.0.50; global-auto-revert-mode and file-notify-error

From: Rasmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:50:21 +0200

Hi,

Recently I get the following error whenever I read mails with Gnus and
global-auto-revert-mode is on:

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-notify-error "Error while trying
    to read file system events")

This is the complete backtrack.  I can try to dig further if necessary.

Thanks,
Rasmus

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-08-27
Repository revision: 64fbdc9825ad98ebbc8c021442c1f3c3ba0fd1b1
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --without-sound --with-xft
 --with-xwidgets --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' 'LDFLAGS=-lMagickWand-6.Q16HDRI
 -lMagickCore-6.Q16HDRI ' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3
X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: es_ES.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  orgstruct-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  nyan-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  checkdoc-minor-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Note: file is write protected
Quit
Mark set
C-x <up> is undefined
paredit-splice-sexp: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer autorevert.el.gz>
Mark set
Loading /home/rasmus/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
(No changes need to be saved)
Loading /home/rasmus/.emacs.d/lisp/message-x.el (source)...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/rasmus/.emacs.d/lisp/abbrev hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/abbrev
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-odt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-publish
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-texinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-md
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-man
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-latex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-html hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-html
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-info
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macro hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macro
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-element
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-eshell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-docview
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-entities
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-C
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-shen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-table
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scala
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-R
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-python
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-makefile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-keys
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-js
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-io
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-java
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-core hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-core
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-css
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-version
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq
/usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/vc/vc-arch hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/vc-arch

Features:
(shadow sort org-bullets cdlatex texmathp reftex reftex-vars org-table
quail footnote autocap mail-extr emacsbug smtpmail-async smtpmail async
gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap nndraft nnmh gnus-demon nntp gnus-harvest mailalias nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo gnus
gnus-ems nnheader message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver recentf tree-widget wid-edit eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe ido-completing-read+ smex misearch multi-isearch
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode git-annex dired-aux dired-x dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-element avl-tree org-w3m bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs bbdb-com
crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone org-inlinetask org-indent
org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps google-maps-static
url-util google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs ob-shell readline-complete shell pcomplete ob-awk
ob-org ob-octave ob-python ob-C ob-emacs-lisp ob-fortran cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
ob-latex ob-R ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ffap
url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars nyan-mode server paredit checkdoc thingatpt flyspell ispell
cap-words superword subword company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags xref cl-seq project eieio eieio-core company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company-c-headers
rx company-jedi jedi-core python-environment epc ctable concurrent
deferred cl ring company vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
bookmark pp ido seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-extra
help-mode windmove savehist saveplace cl-macs time-date gv edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib finder-inf tex-site advice info package easymenu
epg-config mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 465929 13348)
 (symbols 48 54803 5)
 (miscs 40 1129 732)
 (strings 32 133952 20273)
 (string-bytes 1 4232357)
 (vectors 16 60049)
 (vector-slots 8 1718944 100835)
 (floats 8 590 227)
 (intervals 56 1675 1521)
 (buffers 976 17)
 (heap 1024 50226 2047))