Subject: bug#21357: closed (Re: bug#21357: 24.5; Daemon leaves Mac OSX App open after closing GUI frame)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 14:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21357: 24.5; Daemon leaves Mac OSX App open after closing GUI frame

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21357: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21357
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21357: 24.5; Daemon leaves Mac OSX App open after closing GUI frame
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 15:57:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 10:27:11AM +0100, Alan Third wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 04:00:12PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> > Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > > The attached patch "fixes" this by hiding the app icon in the dock and
> > > removing the menus. It's still possible to create a new frame using
> > > emacsclient.
> > 
> > I think that makes sense...
> 
> Since I don't think we're likely to get anyone testing this on the
> strength of this bug report, I've pushed it to master and we can wait
> and see if anyone has any comments.

It's been over a month with no complaints, so I'm closing this bug report.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 24.5; Daemon leaves Mac OSX App open after closing GUI frame
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:35:50 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If I have Emacs (OSX App) started in daemon mode, and then create a
GUI frame, e.g. emacsclient -c, an instance of Emacs.app starts,
which then does not go away when the frame is closed with C-x C-c.
Most menu items, even ones such as "New Frame (C-x 5 2)" that seem
like they should make sense without a frame, are unresponsive.

The app is also unable to respond to s-q, though it does respond to the
"Quit Emacs (Command-Q)" item in the App menu, which C-h k shows
as sending <ns-power-off> rather than a <menu-bar> sequence.

I'm not sure what behavior should be expected here. In order of my
personal preference:

1. Keep the app open, and most menu commands should open a new
   frame.

2. Somehow (is this possible?) close the app instance without shutting
   down the daemon process, when there are no frames.

3. Somehow create a separate app instance for each emacsclient -c
   process.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1344
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils server time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 72471 4238)
 (symbols 48 17293 0)
 (miscs 40 43 140)
 (strings 32 10183 4263)
 (string-bytes 1 271546)
 (vectors 16 9219)
 (vector-slots 8 376271 16268)
 (floats 8 57 68)
 (intervals 56 173 0)
 (buffers 960 12))