Subject: bug#21349: who shows no users nowadays on Debian

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:40:35 -0600

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > AFAIK it doesn't have anything to do with Debian changing anything.
> 
> It most probably has, the latest xterm version (319) only writes a utmp
> entry if you start a login shell (i.e. use the -ls option).  That's
> supposed to be a bug fix[1].
> 1. https://bugs.debian.org/794201

Hmm...  I guess I haven't logged out since that xterm arrived.

  $ who | grep -c pts/
  61
  ... counting all of the entries up to pts/65...

And so it appears that it has been logging for me.  But if I
explicitly start a new xterm:

  $ xterm &

And then in that window look:

  $ tty
  /dev/pts/61

  $ who | grep -c pts/61
  0

So I stand corrected.  It appears that very recently it was changed to
not log utmp.  In spite of the bug log reporting the bug to have been
fixed this still seems to be active with an up to date Sid.  It
appears to have arrived Sunday with version 319-1.  Even explicitly
giving +ut doesn't do anything.  I will further take the discussion to
the Debian bug log since it doesn't have anything to do with
coreutils.

Bob