Subject: bug#21340: 24.5; trash-directory uses FreeDesktop location on OSX

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 21:03:59 +0300

> From: Harvey Chapman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:49:33 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >  If the value is nil, Emacs uses a freedesktop.org-style trashcan.
> >  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 
> > The default is nil, so what you see is Emacs functioning as designed.
> 
> I guess I considered it a bug, because `system-move-file-to-trash` is
> used by Emacs for Windows to put files in the correct location. If Emacs
> can cater to Windows, surely it can cater to another very largely used
> OS?

It doesn't cater to Windows, it caters to any platform that has a
'system-move-file-to-trash' primitive (which is supposed to know the
location of trash internally), and Windows just happens to have it.
When such a primitive is not available, Emacs moves the file using the
"normal" file I/O, and then it has to know where to move it.