Subject: bug#2134: [PATCH] progmodes/compile.el: check global-font-lock-mode

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:46:22 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Here is patch to not to turn on font-lock unconditionally. Patch is
>> against Emacs version control tree check out 2009-01-31.
>
> If you read the rest of the compile.el code, you'll see that it uses
> font-lock to do its job, which is why it's turned on unconditionally.
>

The buffer handling could be improved to work without font lock. In some
cases the colors distract reading; thus font-lock is turned offm, but
RET no longer intreprets the line.

SUGGESTION

There could be be alternative handler to read the current line and
respond to RET (etc.) when font-lock is turned off. I'm supposing here
that standard grep syntax would be easy to handle:

   default-directory: DIR

   FILE:LINE:MATCH

Jari