Subject: Re: bug#21337: 25.0.50; inotify error message

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:22:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 14:12:33 +0200
>> 
>> commit 200c2b10faf298bf65e8b6dbd0cb9ef00b2f95d6 made inotify be
>> preferred to gnotify.
>> 
>> That has shown that there's something amiss in our inotify
>> support: my emacs now spams me with
>> 
>> "Error while trying to read file system events"
>> 
>> whenever I run Gnus, making it unusable.
>
> Please provide more details.  Do you have global-auto-revert-mode
> enabled, per chance?

I do, but I've had that enabled for at least the last 6 months.  I
went away on vacation, re-pulled & re-built, and got the inotify
errors. Relevant .emacs:

 '(dired-auto-revert-buffer (quote dired-directory-changed-p))
 '(global-auto-revert-mode t)
 '(global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers t)

although disabling those 3 makes no difference to the behaviour.

I've double checked my emacs build was using gnotify before.

It's always possible that inotify is trying to access some
non-existent file, but without a filename that's hard to determine.

Regards

Robert