Subject: bug#21333: 25.0.50; window-size-change-functions not called after mini-window resize

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:09:48 +0200

> And I'm still not sure I understand the relevance.  How exactly
 > knowing about the automatic resize will help with coordinates in this
 > case?  If the Lisp program recomputes coordinates inside the hook, it
 > will get the same results in most cases (when point is not in the
 > obscured lines).  So an alternative that doesn't need any hook is
 > simply to recompute the coordinates every time they are needed.  It's
 > not like this calculation is expensive, is it?

Correct.  So ‘window-size-change-functions’ is dispensable.

 > And we get regular complaints about that as well.  Moreover, the
 > setting of the modified status by fill-paragraph is just an annoyance
 > that doesn't cost anyone any extra complexity, whereas the situation
 > with this and similar hooks costs us quite a lot in that aspect.

But you don't worry about performance anyway.  OTOH for the person who
writes the function on the hook it might hardly matter whether some
window size really changed.  The more important case might be to not
miss one single case where the size really changes.

martin