Subject: Re: bug#21331: mailcap (was Re: bug#21331: 24.5; LibreOffice documents have less support...)

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:31:18 -0300

At 14:34 -0300 on Wednesday 2015-08-26, N. Jackson wrote:

> At 13:19 -0300 on Wednesday 2015-08-26, Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> I really doubt any GNU/Linux distribution has better support for MS
>> Office in this area (a program they cannot ship or even install,
>> ignoring Wine) then LibreOffice (which they do ship).
>
> I too really doubt that.

Well it turns out we are both mistaken... 

> It worries me though, so I will probably go on investigating until I
> find the truth of the matter.

Surprisingly the preferential support for Microsoft Word files over
LibreOffice Writer files that I observed _is_ coming from the Fedora
distribution and has nothing to do with my own configuration; the
mailcap file on my system after reinstalling the mailcap package --
which has the msword MIME type support -- is identical to the one in the
distribution sources [1].

I have opened a bug report [2] against Fedora mailcap requesting that
they rectify this. 

[1] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/mailcap.git

[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1257331