Subject: bug#21320: closed (Re: bug#21320: diff-buffer-with-file fails on remote files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 19:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21320: diff-buffer-with-file fails on remote files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21320: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21320
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21320: diff-buffer-with-file fails on remote files
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:42:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Stefan, is this still a problem for you?

No, you can close it, thanks.  Not sure why it wasn't working when
I tested it, but I can confirm it works fine for me now.

        Stefan

Subject: diff-buffer-with-file fails on remote files
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:10:09 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 25.0.50

If you visit a file via Tramp, then make some changes and do M-x
diff-buffer-with-file, you'll get an error in the diff buffer because
"diff" is executed locally with the Tramp file name.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2015-08-10 on pastel
Repository revision: 3fe0089e26b6b4d0da4126826c1f0df9be5624cf
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.1 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure -C --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  c-electric-flag: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Saving file /home/monnier/share/misc/todo...
Wrote /home/monnier/share/misc/todo
Entering debugger...
Quit
Entering debugger...
Quit
Back to top level
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-ref-man hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-ref-man/ada-ref-man
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/landmark/landmark hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/landmark
/home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-generic hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/cl-generic/cl-generic

Features:
(mail-extr emacsbug dabbrev log-edit message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils mailheader pcvs-util vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir css-mode bug-reference add-log
whitespace diff dts-mode smie tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver autorevert filenotify epa-file epa
derived epg semantic/bovine/c semantic/db-mode semantic/decorate/include
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/bovine/c-by
semantic/lex-spp semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep
semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/ctxt semantic/format semantic/tag-ls
semantic/find semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet hideif cpp cmacexp smerge-mode
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-protocol
org-mouse org-mobile org-agenda org-indent org-feed org-crypt
org-capture org-attach org-id org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec cal-french
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cc-mode
cl-seq cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs sort network-stream nsm starttls tls mpc
executable copyright shell pcomplete grep compile misearch multi-isearch
xscheme warnings unsafep trace testcover shadow scheme re-builder
profiler inf-lisp ielm pp gmm-utils ert ewoc debug elp edebug cl-indent
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode
filecache eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func
hippie-exp comint ansi-color ring server noutline outline easy-mmode
flyspell ispell checkdoc thingatpt load-dir elec-pair url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq
cconv eieio-core gnus-util time-date mm-util help-fns help-mode
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars reveal autoinsert proof-site
proof-autoloads cl-macs cl gv pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table
finder-inf edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib advice info package
easymenu epg-config bbdb-autoloads vm-autoloads mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 491698 88311)
 (symbols 48 42770 0) (miscs 40 8617 1424) (strings 32 118525 12636)
 (string-bytes 1 3440704)
 (vectors 16 71129) (vector-slots 8 2300229 108056) (floats 8 748 1076)
 (intervals 56 34337 94)
 (buffers 976 66) (heap 1024 685811 1726))