Subject: Re: bug#21313: 25.0.50; Strange errors from dbus-handle-event

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 09:43:30 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From the backtrace I have the feeling that it was created as another
>> event, and the marker `dbus-event' has been pushed there later. But I
>> cannot prove this.
>
> I have the same feeling as Michael.  xd_read_message_1 and
> inotify_callback / inotifyevent_to_event are the only functions creating
> dbus and file-notify events here, and they'd all barf if the data they
> read was screwed.
>
> And keep in mind that it's not only about these kinds events.  Sometimes
> keyboard events also get screwed, e.g., in the case where view-lossage
> tells me that I've typed a key which I actually didn't.  Or in the case
> where I get a crash where probably the event is handled on the C-level
> where a broken event causes a segfault instead of being gracefully put
> in the debugger.

`unread-command-events' comes to mind. It is used to push events back
which have been read, but which shall be handled later. Maybe something
is broken in that mechanism.

Commit 5022e27dac4c13651941e425dbec5b3a2cecdae4 has made heavy changes
here. I do not say that it has broken things, but it was pushed about 2
weeks prior your bug report. Timing matters.

Maybe you can check whether the problem still happens with a checkout
dated before Aug 4th. I know, hard to reproduce ...

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best regards, Michael.