Subject: Re: bug#21313: 25.0.50; Strange errors from dbus-handle-event

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 23:26:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> the thing passed to `dbus-handle-event' looks like a dbus event except
>> that its contents are bogus.  These events are created by
>> xd_read_message_1 in dbusbind.c, however that function is reasonable
>> strict and could not create the bogus event above, e.g., it calls
>> make_number on the event type which becomes the second item in a
>> dbus-event, i.e., the CHARACTER_POSITION above which is no number.
>> 
>> So what should that tell us?
>
> Either that the event was not a valid D-Bus event, or that it weasn't
> created by that function?

>From the backtrace I have the feeling that it was created as another
event, and the marker `dbus-event' has been pushed there later. But I
cannot prove this.

> Btw, dbusbind.c seems to have its own debugging facilities, so another
> idea would be to turn them on.

Yes. Compiling dbusbind.c with the setting MYCPPFLAGS=-DDBUS_DEBUG
enables traces to emacs' STDOUT. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more
information for interpretation of them.

You can also add more traces in dbusbind.c using the macro XD_DEBUG_MESSAGE.

Well ... starting next Monday, I'm offline for about a week.

Best regards, Michael.