Subject: 25.0.50; Alt-[ unavailable until C-x 8 [ used

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:22:18 +0300

See the subject line: the Alt-[ etc. bindings are not available until
you type "C-x 8 [" the first time, or manually load iso-transl.  This
is because iso-transl-ctl-x-8-map is autoloaded, but the Alt- bindings
are only defined when iso-transl is loaded.  I think this is
confusing, especially as we now advertise Alt-[ etc. as a means to
type curve quotes.

Is it possible to autoload the Alt- bindings as well?  Or maybe we
should simply preload iso-transl?

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.359 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-08-21 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: ff2f35fc478d0047fef4ae3e0b09f43c37961bec
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 'CFLAGS=-gdwarf-4 -g3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
A-[ is undefined [2 times]
‘ (translated from A-[) runs the command self-insert-command

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils iso-transl time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87101 9168)
 (symbols 56 19943 0)
 (miscs 48 37 149)
 (strings 16 16186 6116)
 (string-bytes 1 393967)
 (vectors 16 11392)
 (vector-slots 8 403417 5641)
 (floats 8 125 119)
 (intervals 40 271 96)
 (buffers 856 11))