Subject: Re: bug#21305: 25.0.50; `get-buffer-window-list' doc - what order?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:30:57 +0300

> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>         [email-masked]
> 
> > FWIW, I think adding an argument for that is a bad idea.  If the
> > caller needs the windows sorted in a particular way, then *he*
> > should sort them.
> 
> (S?he should know whether the return value of `get-buffer-window-list'
> is a new list (it is), so that `sort' can be applied to it without
> causing problems elsewhere.  For that, s?he will want to consult the
> code of `get-buffer-window-list'.)

I see no reason for consulting the source code, just to know whether
it's safe to sort that list.  It would be silly, to say the least, for
Emacs to give Lisp programs direct access to a list that is used
internally by Emacs and whose order is important.  IOW, it is safe to
assume that the returned list can be freely manipulated.