Subject: Re: bug#21305: 25.0.50; `get-buffer-window-list' doc - what order?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 21:28:56 +0300

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 08:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > But I think it would be helpful to tell users that the order is
> > > the same as that described in `Cyclic Window Ordering'.
> > 
> > What can the users do with that information?  (It is already in the
> > ELisp manual; I'm talking about the doc string here.)
> 
> In the manual?  Where?  I don't see it, so far (in the build I have
> from 7/31.  I do see that the manual says this, but this speaks only
> to the meaning of these two arguments - it says nothing about the
> order of the windows in the returned value.
> 
>   The arguments MINIBUF and ALL-FRAMES have the same meanings as in
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   the function 'next-window' (*note Cyclic Window Ordering::).  Note
>   that the ALL-FRAMES argument does _not_ behave exactly like in
>   'get-buffer-window'. 

In the cross-referenced node.

> I meant in the manual.  There is an xref to that node, but it is
> given only for info about arguments MINIBUF and ALL-FRAMES.

No, it's not.  It actually tells you that this function traverses the
window as next-window does.

Once again, I think this order is random for all practical purposes,
as far as the caller is concerned.  I was actually surprised to see it
documented in the manual.