Subject: bug#21277: 25.0.50; char-fold search is a screw, and I can't see how to disable

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:56:18 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > If char-fold really only affects ASCII and Unicode lookalikes, is it
  > > important enough to be worth mentioning in the echo area?  If not,
  > > let's delete it from the echo area.

  > One idea was to not display default parameters in the echo area.
  > So when e.g. char-fold search is t by default then it should not
  > be indicated in the echo area.

Might be good.

  > > Does anyone really want to disable it?

  > Like case-fold search, char-fold search could be disabled either by
  > customizing the corresponding variable, or interactively with ‘M-s '’.

Yes, but does anyone really ever want to disable it?

  > > On the other hand, lax whitespace search by default is a drastic
  > > change.  That should be listed in the echo area, and its default
  > > should be nil.

  > AFAIK, a drastic change was not in lax whitespace search per se, but
  > only in its combination with char-fold search that we could fix now.

Is that a certainty?  I now think the problem is simply in lax
whitespace search.  Some evidence is that it occurs in an Emacs from a
year ago, in which char-fold search did not exist.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.