Subject: Re: bug#21260: 23.2; Devanagari windows 10

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 22:40:08 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Jim Funderburk <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:23:05 -0400
> 
>    I tried both 'set-fontset-font'  suggestions -- and both worked!
>    I could not tell any difference between the two solutions.

The first one is preferable because it is not specific to the Nirmala
UI font.  It allows any font that declares support for Devanagari via
the "dev2" OTF tag to be used by Emacs.

>    Also, I put the first option in c:\.emacs file, per your suggestion.
>    Now, the sample devanagari file opens properly when I use Emacs in
>    the usual way (i.e., without -Q).
> 
>    As far as I can see at the moment,  the problem is satisfactorily
>    solved.

OK, thanks for testing.  The equivalent of the first call to
set-fontset-font is already in the Emacs development sources -- I have
discovered this issue (with other scripts) while looking at the
related code that's involved in your use case, and fixed it yesterday.

I also have a few more improvements and bugfixes for minor problems I
discovered in the related parts of Uniscribe support, which I will
commit soon, before I mark this bug done.

>    Thank you for working through the options with me and finding
>     a good solution.

Thanks for helping me debug this.

Btw, I suggest to upgrade to the latest Emacs 24.5, as the version you
were using is quite old, in particular with respect to display of
complex scripts.  For example, Emacs 24 support reordering of
bidirectional text per the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm.