Subject: bug#21260: 23.2; Devanagari windows 10

From: Jim Funderburk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:14:58 -0400

*** E-Mail body has been placed on clipboard, please paste it h
DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVANAGARI WINDOWS 10 PROBLEM
I recently updated to Windows 10.  Now, I have problems viewing
text files which contain utf-8 encoded text representing Devanagari.
The text renders as boxes.
A small sample file is in this dropbox link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uedn6dgwf1p6xj/devanagari_example.txt?dl=0

This file views fine (using Lucida Console, or Arial fonts) under
Windows Vista or Windows 7 , with this same version of Emacs.
I've also tried a newer version 24.x.y version of Emacs on Windows 10,
and have the same problem.
This file also looks fine in Windows 10 using Notepad++ or even lowly
Notepad,  and (with slight adjustment of html tags) in Chrome browser.

My email is [email-masked].  I hope you'll let me know if this
can be fixed, since I have used Emacs for 20+ years, and hope to use it
in the future
Thanks.
Jim Funderburk

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: ENU
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1252
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
M-x r e p o r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)
ere! ***