Subject: Re: bug#21260: 23.2; Devanagari windows 10

From: Jim Funderburk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 15:55:23 -0400

Hi, Eli -
   Here is another dropbox link with further info you requested:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3er09sc7jc8m5kc/emacs-devanagari.zip?dl=0
   There are two images:
   1. emacs-devanagari.png    This is a screen shot of me opening up the 
file
      in Emacs via  command line,  and of what the file looks like on my 
system.
      It looks like all boxes.
   2. emacs-Ctl-h-H.png     This is screen shot of what emacs shows 
after Ctl-h-H command.
        As you can see, the South Asian language shows up in boxes, 
also  'Hindi' and 'Kannada'
        Also  (maybe outside of the image)  Tamil and Telugu - all South 
Asian languages.
   You asked what font -  when I do menu Options/Set Default Font, it 
shows as Courier New.
       I have tried changing to Arial, Lucida Sans Unicode, Consolas  
with no improvement.
    Note:  I thought maybe  this is due to a deficiency in the fonts in 
Windows 10.  However,
                When I open the file in Notepad,   the Devanagari 
displays just fine;  Notepad
                 shows that it is using Consolas Font.
    Note2:  Also, I have a Windows Vista system and this displays fine 
in the same Emacs 23 on that system.
    Note3:  ALso, I tried Emacs 24 on Windows 10, and the same problem 
occurs.

    So, As of now, it seems like there is a bug in displaying South 
Asian Unicode text in Emacs on Windows 10.

THanks for looking at it.   Let me know if I can do anything more to 
help the issue to get resolved.

Regards,
  Jim Funderburk

On 8/14/2015 4:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Jim Funderburk <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:14:58 -0400
>>
>> I recently updated to Windows 10.  Now, I have problems viewing
>> text files which contain utf-8 encoded text representing Devanagari.
>> The text renders as boxes.
>> A small sample file is in this dropbox link.
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uedn6dgwf1p6xj/devanagari_example.txt?dl=0
> I don't see boxes there, I see what looks like Devanagari characters.
> (I don't read any of the languages that use the Devanagari script.)
>
> What do you see if you type "C-h H" in a session started with
> "emacs -Q"?  Can you post an image showing what you see?
>
> Also, what font does Emacs try using for this script on Windows 10?
>
>> This file views fine (using Lucida Console, or Arial fonts) under
>> Windows Vista or Windows 7 , with this same version of Emacs.
>> I've also tried a newer version 24.x.y version of Emacs on Windows 10,
>> and have the same problem.
>> This file also looks fine in Windows 10 using Notepad++ or even lowly
>> Notepad,  and (with slight adjustment of html tags) in Chrome browser.
>>
>> My email is [email-masked].  I hope you'll let me know if this
>> can be fixed, since I have used Emacs for 20+ years, and hope to use it
>> in the future
> I don't have access to Windows 10, and cannot debug this (and don't
> see the problem in the sample you posted anyway).  I hope someone else
> will be able to tell what is wrong there.
>
> Sorry.
>