Subject: bug#21256: [RFC] Extend holiday-greek-orthodox-easter in calendar

From: Foivos S. Zakkak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:38:37 +0300

On 08/13/15 21:05 , Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [Moving this thread to the bug report email address.]
>
> Foivos S. Zakkak wrote:
>
>> Extend holiday-greek-orthodox-easter to work like holiday-easter-etc.
>
> Thanks, could you give the use case for this extension?  My impression is that
> holiday-greek-orthodox-easter is intended for internal use, and the only place
> it's called wouldn't use this extension.

Hello Paul,

To the best of my knowledge there is no preset to properly display all
the Greek holidays.  As a result, following the paradigms in [1] I
created a Greek localization.  However there are various Greek-Orthodox
holidays that are relative to the Easter date (i.e., "Καθαρά Δευτέρα" is
48 days before the Greek-Orthodox Easter) and I was not able to define
them properly.

With this extension one can use the following configuration or similar:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  ;; Greek public holidays
  (setq holiday-christian-holidays
        '((holiday-fixed 1 1 "Πρωτοχρονιά")
          (holiday-fixed 1 6 "Θεοφάνεια")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter -48 "Καθαρά Δευτέρα")
          (holiday-fixed 3 25 "Ευαγγελισμός της Θεοτόκου")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter -2 "Μεγάλη Παρασκευή")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter 0 "Κυριακή του Πάσχα")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter +1 "Δευτέρα του Πάσχα")
          (holiday-fixed 5 1 "Εργατική Πρωτομαγιά")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter +49 "Πεντηκοστή")
          (holiday-greek-orthodox-easter +50 "Αγίου Πνεύματος")
          (holiday-fixed 8 15 "Η Κοίμηση της Θεοτόκου")
          (holiday-fixed 12 25 "Χριστούγεννα")
          (holiday-fixed 12 26 "Σύναξις Ὑπεραγίας Θεοτόκου Μαρίας")
        ))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CalendarLocalization

Kind regards,
Foivos
--
WWW: foivos.zakkak.net
PGP: 7B40 69D9 29BA AE91 C0B3  220A 0846 BFD1 03F0 4EA1