Subject: bug#21241: 25.0.50; gfilenotify doesn't indicate when limits are reached

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:18:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > I wonder if we should revert our decision to prefer gfilenotify if
>> > available, and instead use it only if there's no other supported
>> > method.  It begins to sound more and more like gfilenotify is more
>> > trouble than it's worth.
>> 
>> You mean the other emacs-devel thread where it has been reported that
>> gfile notifications might get delayed up to 30 seconds?
>
> That, and this bug, and also the fact that it simply doesn't work on
> Windows (no notifications come in), although the corresponding glib
> tests all pass.  There's also bug#20417, and I think someone also
> complained about gfilenotify on OS X.

I would also agree to favor inotify when available.

On OS X (better: on systems which have defined HAVE_NS), we should
disable gfilenotify, because the Glib main loop won't be used (ns_select
is used rather than xg_select).

Best regards, Michael.