Subject: bug#21211: closed (Re: bug#21211: 24.4; Possible regression in xterm mouse handling with PuTTY client)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 06:11:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21211: 24.4; Possible regression in xterm mouse handling with PuTTY client

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21211: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21211
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21211: 24.4; Possible regression in xterm mouse handling with PuTTY client
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:09:57 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Are you still seeing this issue on a recent version of Emacs, such as
>> 27.1?
>
> I don't, FWIW.

OK, let's assume the problem has gone away or been fixed.  I'm therefore
closing this bug report.

If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please reply
to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.

Subject: 24.4; Possible regression in xterm mouse handling with PuTTY client
From: Neil Baylis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 11:39:10 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I think I'm seeing a slight regression in the behavior of the mouse wheel
with xterm-mouse-mode. This is when running in -nw mode, using Windows
PuTTY as a client, with ssh into a linux box where the emacs runs. I've
verified that it's nothing in my init.el or site-lisp files. I've verified
that the bad behavior described below does not happen when running on the
same host with a real xterm.

The problem seems to have begun with emacs 24.4. I verified with fresh
builds from source that it works with 24.3, but not with 24.4 or 24.5.

The problem:

 When I scroll using the mouse wheel, the buffer scrolls as before, but
there's also a screen flash, and a complaint in the mini buffer: "M-[ m" is
undefined". It seems that emacs is seeing this escape sequence after each
movement of the mouse wheel. I have PuTTY set to report xterm mouse events,
and I have xterm-mouse-mode turned on in emacs.

I can work around this by adding a global-set-key to recognize the escape
sequence and ignore it. As yet, I don't know if my workaround breaks
anything else. The escape sequence means "Turn off all special character
attributes, e.g., blinking, bold, etc.". Here's the workaround I'm using:

(global-set-key (kbd "\e [ m") (lambda () (interactive) nil))

Here is the lossage output under various combinations of emacs version and
client. I notice that with 24.4 the character \230 is displayed differently
than in 24.3, don't know if that relates to the problem. These are all
started as emacs -q -nw. After emacs starts up, I enable xterm-mouse-mode,
and then do a single scroll down with the mouse wheel:

This is emacs 24.3 with the PuTTY client. The bad behavior is not seen in
this case.

ESC [ > 0 ; 1 3 6 ; 0 c ESC x x t e r m - m o u s e

- m o d e RET ESC [ M a \230 % ESC [ M # \230 % C-h

l

This is emacs 24.3 with the genuine xterm client. The bad behavior is not
seen in this case.

ESC [ > 0 ; 2 7 8 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : 0 0 0 0

/ 0 0 0 0 / 0 0 0 0 ESC \ ESC x x t e r m - m o u s

e - m o d e RET ESC [ < 6 5 ; 5 0 ; 1 3 M C-h l

This is emacs 24.4 with the PuTTY client. The bad behavior is seen in this
case.

ESC [ > 0 ; 1 3 6 ; 0 c ESC x x t e r m - m o u s e

- m o d e RET ESC [ M a Â K ESC [ M # Â K C-h

l

This is emacs 24.4 with the genuine xterm client. The bad behavior is not
seen in this case.

ESC [ > 0 ; 2 7 8 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : 0 0 0 0

/ 0 0 0 0 / 0 0 0 0 ESC \ ESC x x t e r m - m o u s

e - m o d e RET ESC [ < 6 5 ; 9 6 ; 4 2 M C-h l$

Pasted below is the output from M-x report-emacs-bug on the failing
version. I have also tried emacs 24.5 and found the same bad behavior with
the PuTTY client.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)

of 2015-07-30 on moes

System Description:     Debian GNU/Linux 7.7 (wheezy)

Configured using:

`configure --with-xpm=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no'

Important settings:

  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8

  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:

  tooltip-mode: t

  electric-indent-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  tool-bar-mode: t

  menu-bar-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

  buffer-read-only: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

ESC [ > 0 ; 1 3 6 ; 0 c ESC x r e p o r t - e m a c

s - b u g RET

Recent messages:

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:

None found.

Features:

(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml

easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231

mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums

mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils xterm time-date tooltip electric

uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar

dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode

prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar

mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian

utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean

japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian

cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev

minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files

text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule

custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process

dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting

font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:

((conses 16 77501 7411)

(symbols 48 17540 0)

(miscs 40 70 113)

(strings 32 9242 4336)

(string-bytes 1 248382)

(vectors 16 7099)

(vector-slots 8 341403 33128)

(floats 8 65 270)

(intervals 56 155 0)

(buffers 960 12)

(heap 1024 7622 527))