Subject: bug#21199: yank-pop problem

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 00:53:55 +0200

Frederik Eaton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Killing text should still put stuff at the front of the list, as
> before.
>
> However, each yank-pop'ed item will also be moved to the front of the
> kill ring.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

People have wildly differing usage patterns for killing/yanking, and
there's a bunch of different packages for customising how yanking is to
be performed.  But I don't think it would be appropriate to change how
the built-in yanking is done here -- it would annoy too many people, no
matter how you do it.

(In the concrete example you're describing, I think many people just use
registers instead, because the kill ring is too ephemeral.)

So I'm closing this bug report -- this is best left to different
packages to implement.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no