Subject: 24.5; IELM shouldn't use switch-to-buffer

From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:23:27 +0200

I've run into the phenomenon that IELM firmly refused to change the way
it displays its buffer, even when customizing `display-buffer-alist'.
It turns out this is due to it using `switch-to-buffer' instead of going
for `pop-to-buffer-same-window' like M-x run-scheme would do.

A trivial patch is included.  I've already signed the contribution papers.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
 of 2015-04-20 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71095 8155)
 (symbols 48 17616 0)
 (miscs 40 35 163)
 (strings 32 9072 4630)
 (string-bytes 1 249158)
 (vectors 16 8936)
 (vector-slots 8 384774 16671)
 (floats 8 63 232)
 (intervals 56 177 6)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 27830 887))
diff --git a/lisp/ielm.el b/lisp/ielm.el
index 3c9908a..d5b2ba8 100644
--- a/lisp/ielm.el
+++ b/lisp/ielm.el
@@ -615,7 +615,7 @@ See `inferior-emacs-lisp-mode' for details."
       (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*ielm*")
         (unless (zerop (buffer-size)) (setq old-point (point)))
         (inferior-emacs-lisp-mode)))
-    (switch-to-buffer "*ielm*")
+    (pop-to-buffer-same-window "*ielm*")
     (when old-point (push-mark old-point))))
 
 (provide 'ielm)