Subject: bug#21194: 2015-06-01; add support for ffap via kpsewhich

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 20:31:48 +0200

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Nicolas,

> I'm using the following customizations, which I thought I'd share with
> you. As the subject says it, it uses kpsewhich for guessing a filename
> at point. It allows to use M-x ffap with point on "geometry" to find
> geometry.sty, or with point on "memoir" to find memoir.cls.
>
> It is very quick because it calls kpsewhich only once.
>
> I'm not making this into an actual patch because while it works fine
> on my system, it's not ready for inclusion yet.  I'm open to your
> ideas to make it better and eventually include it.

It's definitely useful but...

> ;; use the above
> (advice-add 'ffap-latex-mode :override 'yf/ffap-latex-mode)

...since you override the Emacs builtin `ffap-latex-mode' function, why
not improve ffap.el by making it use `kpsewhich' if that's available?
Then this feature would be available to all emacs users, not only to
AUCTeX users.  Of course, I'd happily add a menu entry and/or keybinding
for it in AUCTeX.

Bye,
Tassilo