Subject: Re: bug#21188: Preview installed from the package manager changes LaTeX-mode-hook

From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 15:41:59 -0300

Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

>> César Asensio <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Hi César,

>>> I'm a longtime AUCTeX user, and I've never felt the need of using
>>> Preview in my daily LaTeX editing.  Prior to the inclusion of AUCTeX
>>> in the Emacs package manager there was the possibility of loading
>>> AucTeX and Preview separately, but now they are both loaded
>>> automatically.  This in itself would be harmless if not for Preview
>>> changing the variable `LaTeX-mode-hook' *after* the init file
>>> settings.

>> I don't see why that's a problem.  Could you please elaborate a bit?

> I know this is an old post, but the problem, in my view, still exists.

> AUTeX provides for customization for LaTeX-mode-hook, but inside the
> function LaTeX-preview-setup in preview.el, it overwrites the value with
> (remove-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-preview-setup) (add-hook
> 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'preview-mode-setup).

Sorry, I misread the code snippet above; it doesn't seem to be the cause of
LaTeX-mode-hook being overwritten.