Subject: bug#21188: Preview installed from the package manager changes LaTeX-mode-hook

From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 15:25:14 -0300

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> César Asensio <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi César,

>> I'm a longtime AUCTeX user, and I've never felt the need of using
>> Preview in my daily LaTeX editing.  Prior to the inclusion of AUCTeX
>> in the Emacs package manager there was the possibility of loading
>> AucTeX and Preview separately, but now they are both loaded
>> automatically.  This in itself would be harmless if not for Preview
>> changing the variable `LaTeX-mode-hook' *after* the init file
>> settings.

> I don't see why that's a problem.  Could you please elaborate a bit?

I know this is an old post, but the problem, in my view, still exists.

AUTeX provides for customization for LaTeX-mode-hook, but inside the
function LaTeX-preview-setup in preview.el, it overwrites the value with
(remove-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-preview-setup) (add-hook
'LaTeX-mode-hook #'preview-mode-setup).

Joseph