Subject: Re: bug#21186: date core with bad string

From: Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 16:55:53 +0100

unarchive 16872
forcemerge 21186 16872
stop

On 04/08/15 12:36, Michael Moffatt wrote:
> Hi there,
> 
> I inadvertently discovered that the following bad input leads to a date
> core. While I accept that I was throwing garbage at poor old date, I
> thought that the resulting core merited a bug report.
> 
> The string was:
> 
> date +%s -d'TZ="America/Los_Angeles" "Tue, 14 Jul 2015 04:00:35 +0000"'
> 
> I was doing this on Centos, but also verified the same issue on Debian
> (6.0.10) with coreutils 8.5 but the problem did NOT happen on another
> Debian (jessie/sid) box with coreutils 8.21.

This fix which was included in coreutils 8.23
and probably backported to debian:
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commitdiff;h=a10acfb1d2

It's not been fixed in centos 7 yet:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1167548

cheers,
Pádraig.