Subject: bug#21147: readline history is stifled early so (readline-set! history-length nn) has no effect

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:23:17 +0200

On Tue 28 Jul 2015 10:06, Daniel Llorens <[email-masked]> writes:

> The default history-length is 200. When one imports (ice-9 readline),
> history is stifled to this value, so it doesn't matter if you set
> history-length to a larger value later on. I'm surprised that this has
> gone unnoticed up to now, since 200 is really small. I may be missing
> something...
>
> The patch changes scm_readline_options() so that history is only
> stiffled when the options are actually set. This is rather clumsy
> since it means that if one doesn't set the options, history will never
> be stifled.
>
> An alternative would be to add an optional readline-options argument
> to activate-readline. That way one would be able to increase
> history-length before the first time history is stifled, and otherwise
> things would work as they do now.

Thanks for the patch!  Well why not.  It's not perfect but it's an
improvement.  Thanks for giving this a poke; applied to master.

Andy