Subject: bug#21145: 24.4; package update gives tls errors

From: Rustom Mody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:29:56 +0530

Start emacs with -Q
Run (package-initialize)
Run (add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("marmalade" . "https://marmalade-repo.org/packages/") t)
Run M-x package-list-packages

Get error
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly
terminated.

Some info from ldconfig -v|grep libgnutls

    libgnutls-deb0.so.28 -> libgnutls-deb0.so.28.41.0
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.21.so is the dynamic
linker, ignoring

    libgnutls-openssl.so.27 -> libgnutls-openssl.so.27.0.2
    libgnutls-deb0.so.28 -> libgnutls-deb0.so.28.41.0

Above is ubuntu 15.4 with emacs 24.4.1
With ubuntu 14.10 with emacs 24.3.1 error (warning) is
gnutls.c: [1] Note that the security level of the Diffie-Hellman key exchange
has been lowered to 256 bits and this may allow decryption of the session data

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.9)
 of 2015-03-21 on kissel, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:    Ubuntu 15.04

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x p a c k a <tab> i n <tab> i <tab> <return> C-y
<escape> C-x M-x p a c k a g e - l i <tab> <return>
q <return> <return> M-x e m a c s - r e <tab> <backspace>
<backspace> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-g C-h a r e p
o r <tab> <backspace> t <return> M-x r e p o r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Mark set
(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/") ("marmalade" .
"https://marmalade-repo.org/packages/"))
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80 [2 times]
Contacting host: marmalade-repo.org:443
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly
terminated.
Making completion list...
Quit
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail apropos mule-util gnutls
cl-loaddefs cl-lib mm-archive message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils
network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars epg finder-inf package epg-config help-mode
easymenu time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 324324 23103)
 (symbols 48 22183 0)
 (miscs 40 171 179)
 (strings 32 35720 4363)
 (string-bytes 1 874288)
 (vectors 16 15615)
 (vector-slots 8 447450 19202)
 (floats 8 78 413)
 (intervals 56 35370 375)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 50759 1322))