Subject: bug#21144: closed (Re: bug#21144: Performance problem with certain text editing operations (emacs 24.4.1))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 21:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21144: Performance problem with certain text editing operations (emacs 24.4.1)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21144: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21144
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21144: Performance problem with certain text editing operations (emacs 24.4.1)
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 16:04:23 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] wrote:

> Do you still see this with more recent Emacs?  If yes, are you running
> any kind of daemon that monitors the clipboard?  The symptoms sound a
> bit like http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24013 "[KDE/Plasma
> 5] Emacs 25.x uses up all memory and needs to be killed".
>
> Also, if you can add the details that report-emacs-bug usually gives,
> whether you're using gtk or lucid toolkit could be significant.

No response in months, closing.

Subject: Performance problem with certain text editing operations (emacs 24.4.1)
From: Aaron Sokoloski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:57:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

I've run into something that I can't figure out.  Emacs 24.4.1 usually
hangs for a short time (on the order of a second) when I do one of these
things:

1) Kill a line
2) Kill a region
3) run kill-ring save

It seems to be slow to do anything that copies text to the kill ring.
Occasionally it seems like something I do (can't figure out what) makes it
temporarily fast again, but then gradually slow down again until it takes
about 1 second.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens it
happens pretty reliably.

The -q option does not make any difference.  Font-lock-mode doesn't make
any difference, nor does the size of the buffer seem to.

Nothing exciting seems to show up under profiling -- the big cpu users are
just the profiling stuff like the report.  Also, setting debug-on-quit and
pressing ctrl-g during the lag doesn't make the debugger pop up.

However, I can't seem to reproduce the lag when running with -nw, so maybe
it's something with the windowing.

I'm running debian jesse, with awesome window manager version v3.4.15.

As you can imagine, this is pretty distracting, so I'd appreciate any help
anyone can provide!

Thanks in advance,
Aaron