Subject: Re: bug#21143: 24.5; M-x octave-mode fails with: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, octave-mod

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:33:59 -0400

Alex Ryan wrote:

> Do this:
> M-x octave mode
>
> Observe this error message:
> Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, octave-mod
>
> Author says these files should be installed:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installing-EOS.html#Installing-EOS
>
> But they are not.

GNU Emacs has included Octave mode since Emacs 21.
Therefore there is no need to do anything like

  (autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)

in any non-ancient version of Emacs. If you have such a statement
anywhere in your ~/.emacs file (for example), it will lead to an error
in Emacs 24.4, where "octave-mode.el" has been renamed to "octave.el".
Just remove that statement.

The instructions on the Octave website are outdated, but nobody here can
do anything about that. Please report it to the Octave maintainers.
Thanks.