Subject: bug#21138: 24.5; package system not initializing

From: Jerry Asher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:09:48 -0700

On a fresh install of 24.5, I am not seeing the package system initialize.

package-enable-at-startup is t

and based on

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Packaging-Basics.html#Packaging-Basics

> Whenever Emacs starts up, it automatically calls the function package-initialize to load installed packages. This is done after loading the init file and abbrev file (if any) and before running after-init-hook (see Startup Summary). Automatic package loading is disabled if the user option package-enable-at-startup is nil.

I am not calling package-initialize.

Do I need to call package-initialize in 24.5? The documentation
implies I do not.

Thanks,

Jerry

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
zlib library not found
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail mule-util mm-archive message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls
url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars finder-inf package epg-config
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 120956 13531)
 (symbols 32 20353 0)
 (miscs 32 36 89)
 (strings 16 20741 3703)
 (string-bytes 1 556580)
 (vectors 8 13196)
 (vector-slots 4 421956 13306)
 (floats 8 68 262)
 (intervals 28 4156 591)
 (buffers 508 12))