Subject: Re: bug#21125: 24.5; flyspell only works with mouse

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:19:48 -0300

At 22:11 -0300 on Thursday 2015-07-23, N. Jackson wrote:

> In Section 16.4, "Checking and Correcting Spelling", of the manual (info
> "(emacs) Spelling"), it says:
>
>     When Flyspell mode highlights a word as misspelled, you can click on
>     it with ‘Mouse-2’ to display a menu of possible corrections and
>     actions.
>
> If there is a command to do this from the keyboard it is not documented
> here.

> Please consider making flyspell usable from the keyboard. (Or, if it
> already is and I'm simply missing something, please document it.)

Ah! I find that there is a flyspell-correct-word-before-point, already
set up with a key binding.

    flyspell-correct-word-before-point is an interactive compiled Lisp
    function in `flyspell.el'.

    It is bound to C-c $.

Perhaps this could be documented in the manual? Something like:

    When Flyspell mode highlights a word as misspelled, you can
    position point on it and type `C-c $' (or click on it with
    `Mouse-2') to display a menu of possible corrections and actions.

Also, this command pops up a graphical menu of options on my system.
This menu can be navigated fine from the keyboard which is good.
Nonetheless, it seems a bit incongruous to get a graphical menu in
response to a command from the keyboard. Might a minibuffer prompt or
completions list or an interface like the one used for ispell-buffer be
more appropriate? (I don't know, just asking.)