Subject: bug#21125: 24.5; flyspell only works with mouse

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 14:40:03 -0300

At 04:33 -0300 on Friday 2015-07-24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
>> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:19:48 -0300
>>
>> Perhaps this could be documented in the manual? Something like:
>> 
>>     When Flyspell mode highlights a word as misspelled, you can
>>     position point on it and type `C-c $' (or click on it with
>>     `Mouse-2') to display a menu of possible corrections and actions.
>
> Done.

Thanks Eli.

>> Also, this command pops up a graphical menu of options on my system.
>> This menu can be navigated fine from the keyboard which is good.
>> Nonetheless, it seems a bit incongruous to get a graphical menu in
>> response to a command from the keyboard. Might a minibuffer prompt or
>> completions list or an interface like the one used for ispell-buffer be
>> more appropriate? (I don't know, just asking.)
>
> I see nothing incongruous in popping up a menu in this case, but
> patches are welcome for adding an optional non-menu UI in this case.

I've now realise that I can of course use `M-$' (`ispell-word') in
exactly this circumstance and get a non-graphical menu, so I don't think
any patch is needed.

For completeness, I will add that I've noticed that in the natural
course of typing, point is well beyond a misspelled word before I notice
the highlighting, so there is the need to navigate back to the
highlighted word before using `C-c $' or `M-$'.

`M-x flyspell-check-previous-highlighted-word' comes to the rescue here
(I'll need to give it a binding in my settings), but I find that it has
some issues which I have reported in bug#21129.