Subject: Re: bug#21123: emacsclient silently eats keys on startup

From: William G Hatch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:17:25 -0600

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:08:17AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>William Hatch <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When emacsclient is launched with -t (terminal mode), there is a short time
>> when I press keys and they have no effect.
>
>How short is that time?  I couldn't reproduce it when trying this:
>
>$ sleep 5; emacsclient -t
>
>and then starting to type ahead.

Interestingly I can't reproduce it that way either... so maybe it has to be at
the exact time emacs is starting up.  On a new machine locally I have to be
pretty quick to reproduce it, but it's still something I'll occasionally accidentally
do, but it happens more often over ssh.  It seems to happen during the time that
emacsclient still shows the scratch buffer but before it opens up the file I tell
it to open.  But the keys don't go to the scratch buffer either, so I'm not sure
what's going on.

It's hard to get to work with an empty init file -- it happens more when
there are mode hooks or something that run when emacsclient opens a file.