Subject: bug#21113: emacs Inaccessibility to Screen reader(orca)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:19:36 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> Oh, I see, the term "accessibility" has a very particular meaning in the
> context of screen readers (I had thought it was just odd word choice in
> the original report).

I found this bug report pretty confusing, too, but the request is for
Emacs to support the Orca screen reader, which is a Gnome thing.

To do this, Emacs has to implement a Gnome API:

  https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/introduction.html.en

The report states that "emacs -nw" works fine -- but according to some
experimentation, that seems to be because Terminal (the Gnome
xterm-a-like) supports Orca.  Emacs itself doesn't support Orca at all.

I know nothing about these things, so I wonder: Is Orca used much?  Are
there other competing screen-reader APIs that would be better to focus
on?  Is Orca more convenient to use than Emacspeak?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no