Subject: bug#23220: closed (Re: bug#21108: Home directory not created for new users)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 11:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21108: Users' home is not created when initializing with a LUKS /home

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21108: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21108
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21108: Home directory not created for new users
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Andy Patterson <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 12:39:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Andy Patterson <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Following up on the thread from guix-devel:
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-07/msg00554.html>
>
> On 0.8.3-pre, after a clean install, users listed in the system
> configuration file do not have a home directory automatically created
> for them in some circumstances. This causes the user to be initially
> unable to login. Specifically, with a separately mounted home folder,
> the folder may not be created. I note that when un-mounting /home, the
> expected folder does appear.

I’m happy to report that this is finally fixed, in commit
ae763b5b0b7d5e7316a3d0efe991fe8ab2261031.

>From now on, home directories of non-system users are created when the
‘file-systems’ Shepherd service is up, i.e., when all the file systems
have been mounted.

Let me know if you spot anything wrong!

Ludo’.

Subject: Users' home is not created when initializing with a LUKS /home
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:48:49 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When initializing a new GuixSD system with /home on an encrypted
partition (as described in the manual), unprivileged users' home
directories are not created.

I initialized the system with the encrypted partition locked and
unmounted, but <kyamashita> from #guix had the same problem even though
they had unlocked and mounted the partition.

Of course, root can create the directories once the new system has
booted, but none of the configuration files are there, which means the
environment is not what is expected (my PATH was '/bin:/usr/bin').

I worked around the problem by removing my user from the operating
system configuration, reconfiguring, putting my user back in the
configuration, and reconfiguring again.