Subject: bug#21105: batch article move/copy to groups pompts user too much

From: Brent Busby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:48:18 -0500

The variable gnus-prompt-before-saving can be set to 't' to avoid
excessive prompting during multiple article save to _files_, or to 'nil'
to avoid any prompting at all.  This is helpful when one has
gnus-split-methods setup to teach Gnus where to save different kinds of
articles (described in section 3.16 of the manual), but all of this only
helps with saving to _files_.

However, if you're copying/moving articles to actual _groups_ (rather
than raw files), gnus-prompt-before-saving has no effect.  You can use
gnus-move-split-methods to teach Gnus how to suggest moved/copied
articles should be moved (described in section 3.26), but you can't use
gnus-prompt-before-saving to avoid excessive prompting while doing so,
nor is there any other variable analogous to gnus-prompt-before-saving
that can affect article move/copy to groups.

The effect of this is that you can try to automate move/copy to groups
with programmed suggestions about where an article should be moved to,
but you will be prompted for every single article, and there's nothing
that can be done about it.

Solution:
Either the effect of gnus-prompt-before-saving should be expanded to
also affect batch article moving/copying to group targets, or a new Gnus
variable should be created that can do that.  Otherwise, batch
moving/copying will follow suggested targets from
gnus-move-split-methods, but may prompt the user redundantly for every
single article during the process.

Gnus v5.13
GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4)
 of 2015-07-04 on isildur

-- 
+ Brent A. Busby	 +	The New JFI Computing Web Site:
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +	http://jficomputing.uchicago.edu/
+ University of Chicago	 +	For problem reports and requests:
+ James Franck Institute +	email:	[email-masked]