Subject: bug#21102: closed (Re: bug#21102: 24.5; prompt of `read-char' obscured by keystroke echo)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21102: 24.5; prompt of `read-char' obscured by keystroke echo

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21102: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21102
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21102: 24.5; prompt of `read-char' obscured by keystroke echo
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Emilio Lopes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 17:10:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can reproduce this in Emacs 27.2, but not on the current master.  Has
> this problem gone away for you too on the current master?

I can also reproduce this on 27.2 but not on current master, so let's
assume this has been fixed.

I'm closing this bug with this message.  If anyone can still reproduce
this on current master, please reply back and we can re-open.

Subject: 24.5; prompt of `read-char' obscured by keystroke echo
From: Emilio Lopes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:42:47 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start Emacs with "emacs -Q" and type the following in the "*scratch*"
buffer:

  (read-char "char: ")

With the point after the right paren type now "C-x C-e"
(`eval-last-sexp').  If you press this key-sequence slowly, waiting one
second (the value of `echo-keystrokes') between "C-x" and "C-e" the
prompt string ("char: ") will be obscured by the echo area showing the
keystrokes "C-x C-e-" (note the trailing dash!).

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2015-04-15 on xz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 8.1 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --without-compress-install --with-zlib --with-imagemagick
 --with-xml2 --with-svg --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs-24.5'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction