Subject: bug#21101: closed (Re: bug#21101: Binary installation clobbers root ownership)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:20:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21101: Binary installation clobbers root ownership

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21101: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21101
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21101: Binary installation clobbers root ownership
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:19:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:

> If you unpack guix-binary-0.8.2.x86_64-linux.tar.xz according to the
> manual instructions in "Binary installation", you clobber the ownership
> of /, /root, and /var.
>
> The tarball needs to unpack with root ownership.  While you can use
> --no-same-owner, the current behaviour is pretty unfriendly.  (I noticed
> because ssh as root then failed with complaints about an insecure .ssh
> directory.)

Indeed, thanks for your report.  We actually noticed it and fixed it
soon after 0.8.2.  The fix will be in 0.8.3, to be released tomorrow.

Thank you,
Ludo’.

Subject: Binary installation clobbers root ownership
From: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:20:49 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If you unpack guix-binary-0.8.2.x86_64-linux.tar.xz according to the
manual instructions in "Binary installation", you clobber the ownership
of /, /root, and /var.

The tarball needs to unpack with root ownership.  While you can use
--no-same-owner, the current behaviour is pretty unfriendly.  (I noticed
because ssh as root then failed with complaints about an insecure .ssh
directory.)