Subject: Re: bug#21100: 25.0.50; quit-restore-window should also retore width, not just height

From: Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:31:32 +0100

2015-07-21 12:07 GMT+01:00 martin rudalics <[email-masked]>:
>> 1. Split the frame into two windows, one above the other.
>> 2. Make the bottom window very small.
>> 3. With point in the larger window, run `C-h f point RET'
>> 4. The bottom window increases in size to display the Help buffer.
>
> I can't reproduce that here.

That's probably because your monitor is larger than my laptop's.

> So what did you do to accomplish that resize?

Try doing (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 290)

If the frame is large enough to fit two windows side-by-side, then the
help buffer will always be created in a new window to the right.

However, if the font size is large enough that two windows do NOT fit
side by side in the frame, then the window is created below. In this
scenario, you get the behavior I described (i.e., if there's already a
window below the current one, it is reused by the help buffer and it
is expanded if necessary).