Subject: Re: bug#21078: 24.5; Wish: Customize as a general-purpose configuration facility

From: Raffaele Ricciardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:53:43 +0200

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 07:27:17 +0530
Vaidheeswaran C <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 July 2015 11:48 PM, Raffaele Ricciardi wrote:
>
> > the widget interface that Customize creates is tightly tied to
> > `Custom-mode'.  Yet, the same interface could be useful to any
> > package that requires users to perform some kind of complex
> > configuration (for example: configuring a software project before
> > compiling).
>
> Do you want something more than what is documented in this node:
>
>     (info "(eieio) Customizing")
>

No, I don't.  EIEIO is not a renowned package -- the Emacs Lisp
Reference mentions it only once cursorily, and it seems that only CEDET
uses it -- hence I hadn't looked into it.

EIEIO Custom Mode could look more similar to Custom Mode, but I infer
that these modes were written independently, hence achieving a similar
*look and feel* could require too much refactoring.  Anyway, it seems
that the lambdas inside `eieio-custom-object-apply-reset' could be
extracted as commands, so that users could bind them to keys.

Thanks for your assistance.